Sunday, October 11, 2009

Methods 1 and 2

In reading the articles I feel it's a great time to be a librarian. There's lots of great software available and the more we know the more we can teach the students.

I agree with "The Machine is Us/ing Us" in that computers make information more fluid and flexible, but I am also a major fan of handwriting. I keep remembering at the Univ. of Tennessee Archives. We had the notebooks of Alex Haley. It was wonderful to see the progression of thought through his edits. Pencil, red, then green. In the later books written on the computer there were few or no edits. I felt saddened for the loss of this creative thought process.

That said.

At my library. We try to keep up with new technology and software and promote it through workshops and classes. There is a wide span between students knowledge and needs. I don't know how other librarians handle this gap. We offer information to the students and those interested follow up and others seem to wait until it's needed.

Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I just wanted to pop in and say that your blog looks fabulous! Great job! I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of your blog posts (I see that so far you have gotten through Method 4 -- fantastic!) and I do hope that you'll have the time to finish the whole program! Please let me know if you have any questions at all. Best wishes, Naomi

    ReplyDelete