Thursday, November 5, 2009

Method 8

Hello again,

It's been a while what with conferences & illness, but I have been looking at Faceook & MySpace and reading all the information. In answer to the questions we are asked to ponder.

1- I think social networking sites are fine in general if you have many friends around the world and want to keep in touch. From a professional point of view, it's great to let people know what is going on at the library. Students today expect this kind of access that we have a responsibility to provide.

2- The privacy concerns I have, are with someone gaining access to my life I really do not want them to have, I know they say there are secure paths, etc. etc. But, you know have the minute something is secure there is someone else trying to hack the system. My little bit of paranoia.

3- Our library is talking about using Facebook since the format is more in keeping with a university, but we are developing slowly.

4- I do not have a personal Facebook account and do not have the time (or energy) to keep up with the postings.

I do have a LinkedIn account which is another Social Networking tool that I like for professional use and SlideShare for presentations.

I have qualms about students who are so connected with FaceBook and MySpace. I fast forward in my mind about 10 years and someone completely changed from that time still explaining how "that" got on FaceBook.

No comments:

Post a Comment